Essentials of an Online Course
The world of online education is growing at an astonishingly rapid pace, making it crucial for educators to stay at the forefront of developments. With so many different ways of working and possibilities available, it is hard to keep track of all possible online methods and how to use them to optimal effect.
Essentials of an Online Course is an excellent course for anyone who wants to experience what it is like to participate in an online course. During the course you will become familiar with various aspects of online teaching, such as social presence, teaching presence and cognitive presence. The course will provide you with a broad introduction to the field of online learning, teach you how to communicate effectively and efficiently online, and improve your time management skills. If you are interested in learning more about the educational principles underlying this course, your course instructor will be happy to teach you more about these principles.
Essentials of an online course is as flexible as you can imagine
In keeping with the ‘any time, anywhere’ philosophy central to all Elevate’s online courses, there is no requirement for attendance at a specific location at any stage of the course. The course discussion forums are open 24 hours per day, enabling you to access them whenever you wish during the course period. The course materials are also available 24/7. There are no fixed times for interaction; all communication will be asynchronous. However, there are strict deadlines at the start of every new week. So please bear in mind that you will need to set aside 2,5 hours per week for this course. It is though completely up to you when you spent these 2,5 hours during each week.
‘Essentials of an Online Course’ is a recognized course for the ‘BKO’ and ‘SKO’ Dutch University teaching qualifications.
Please note: You may be eligible for a discount on this course if you aim to teach, develop or moderate an Elevate Health course. To confirm your eligibility for a discount, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Use different pedagogical techniques of teaching an online course, including in Elevate’s own Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)
- Use a variety of online tools, such as assignments, web lectures, videos, wikis, peer feedback, self-tests, video conferencing, e-modules and chat within VLEs, including Elevate’s own VLE
- Create a sense of presence during online teaching
- Use time wisely while teaching an online course
- Basics of online learning
- Tools for online learning
- Teaching practices
- Managing your online class
- The challenges of teaching online
The whole course will take place online. The following learning methods will be used:
- Discussion forums
- Peer feedback
- Web lectures
Please note that you are required to hand in assignments during some of the learning units in this course:
Sunday before start date - upload introduction movie
Sunday – complete Learning Unit 1
Sunday – complete Learning Unit 2
Sunday – complete Learning Unit 3
Sunday – complete Learning Unit 4
Sunday – complete Learning Unit 5
Completing all required assignments and meeting the deadlines are requirements to take the final exam.
To successfully complete this course, you need to participate actively in the discussion forums and complete the learning unit assignments, including:
- Contributing at least one substantive post to the discussion forum in each of the five learning units; as a matter of courtesy, you should also respond to any discussion topic started by your fellow students
- Taking an active part in the group assignments
- Completing several tutor-marked individual assignments
Upon successful completion of this course, you will receive a certificate from Elevate Health.
To enroll in this course, you need:
- Sufficient proficiency in English reading and writing
As this is an online course, you do need access to an internet connection in order to be able to follow lectures, complete assignments and communicate with fellow participants.
“Learning via the internet is a way to make education available for everyone.” Jita Hoogerduijn
“I like online learning because of the interaction with a diverse international group of people in my own time and at my own pace.” Esther de Groot
“What I enjoyed about the course is that it opened a whole new world for me.” Jaime Rofina
“The course was very useful, particularly with regard to the information I gathered.” Juan Carlos Lopez
“The course functions as a 'door-opener', providing new insights into the next steps an educator might take to become more sophisticated in the e-learning context.” Norman Rosenblum
- 14 Jan 2019 – 17 Feb 2019
- 5 weeks
- 3 hrs/wk
- Certificate of Completion
- Discussion fora, video, assignments, peer feedback, readings, weblectures, screencasts, polls, quizzes and self-tests
- Desktop, Laptop, Smartphone, Tablet
420(Discounts and scholarships may apply)