The Landscape of Translational Medicine
Translational medicine is a discipline in biomedical research that aims to turn observations in the laboratory, clinic and community into interventions that improve the health of individuals and the public. This training course introduces you to key aspects of translational research and medicines development. The course consists of five modules and each of these modules consists of different learning units. You will learn through lectures, videos, webcasts, tests and quizzes.
You will start the online medical course with a general introduction to translational medicine. You will learn about the different research and development phases of a new medicine, including the challenges, risks and costs that are involved in the process. Hence you will learn about target validation and predictive models during modules 2 and 3. Learning module 4 will introduce you to Biomarkers and personalized medicine, so you will understand how to monitor drug effects in treated patients. During the last module 5 the focus will be on European regulations in this field.
- To be able to identify the different steps that are necessary to take a new discovery from the lab bench to the patient's bedside and back again.
In particular, you will be able to:
- Describe the process of discovering, testing and eventually gaining approval for selling a drug
- Sum up and describe the most important risks and costs in translational science
- Give a definition of a target and target validation
- Sum up the most important questions that need to be answered during target validation
- Describe the characteristics of good and bad preclinical models
- Give a definition of personalized medicine and biomarkers
- Describe the gap of innovation in the field of biomarkers
- Reproduce the highlights of The history of the EU regulatory system
- Describe the steps a new medicine has to 'travel' before legislation
- Sum up the most important aspects of the process to get a new medicine accepted.
- Introduction to translational medicine
- Target validation
- Predictive models
- Biomarkers and personalized medicine
- Regulatory environments
The whole course will take place online. The following learning methods will be used:
- Web lectures
- Mindmap assignments