Translational Medicine Certificate Program
Translational medicine encompasses the continuum from identifying an idea to its development into new therapies for human diseases. By enabling people to develop research through this continuum, it is possible to translate critical scientific insights into tangible benefits for patients.
This online medical course will help you to develop critical thinking skills to approach the challenges in translational medicine. You will also improve your communication skills – in particular, those required for presenting complex scientific ideas to a broad spectrum of people. You will learn to analyze effective manuscript preparation and begin to apply the concepts to your own work. In addition, you will have the opportunity to analyze the business, scientific and regulatory aspects of translational medicine
During the course, we will examine case studies and help you develop creative problem-solving strategies and novel skills to build new kinds of teams. The skills garnered from this course will help you and your teams to address the challenges facing drug development today, and to bridge the divide between concept and patient.
Offered by the Eureka Institute for Translational Medicine, this online health course comprises a preparatory online element , followed by an intensive 7-day certificate program in Siracusa, Sicily. You can prepare for the latter by participating in the online discussion forum. Here, you can explain your ideas and visions on translational medicine and give feedback to your peers about theirs. This is a great way to get to know each other and each other’s ideas on translational medicine prior to taking part in the certificate program itself.
Please note that you have to be admitted to the program of the Eureka Institute.
By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Analyze the business, scientific and regulatory aspects of translational medicine
- Explore the challenges professionals encounter in translational medicine
- Develop critical thinking skills to approach these challenges
- Develop communication skills for presenting complex scientific ideas to a broad spectrum of people
- Analyze effective manuscript preparation and begin to apply the concepts to your own work
- The concept and components of translational medicine
- Intellectual property protection and development
- Funding (public versus private)
- Regulatory issues
- Research ethics
- Data management and statistical strategies
- Academia and industry partnerships
- From mountains to molehills: transforming basic research into leads
- Modeling diseases and therapies in experimental systems
- Clinical trial design
- Managing research groups
- International issues
- Animal models
- Refined approach: from global diseases to individualized care
The whole course will take place online. The following learning methods will be used:
- Lectures / videos
- Online and face-to-face tuition
To successfully complete this course, you need to participate actively in the discussion forums and complete the learning unit assignments, including:
- A group assignment
- Several individual assignments
Upon successful completion of this course, you will receive a recognized certificate from the Eureka Institute for Translational Medicine.
To enroll in this course, you need:
- Academic training or a professional qualification in a relevant area equivalent to bachelor’s level
- At least 2 years of professional experience in a relevant area
- To be accepted into the Eureka Institute’s Certificate Program
Sufficient proficiency in English reading and writing (English level TOEFL 550 or IELTS 6.0 [academic version])
As this is an online course, you do need access to an internet connection in order to be able to follow lectures, complete assignments and communicate with fellow participants.